It is that time again of studying, lack of sleep, stress, books…EXAMS! Mine started yesterday and I have 4 more to go in the next 2 weeks. Fun right? Nah…
I know I am not good at studying at all. I find it hard to remember things. Somehow I can always remember songs from over 10 years ago, but everything I have to study for school is something I am bad at. This also means that I always have to resit exams, which is also the reason why I am always behind on things because the number of exams just adds up.
But then I wonder why I find it hard to remember things I study for. Is it because I don’t put enough energy in studying something or is it more because I am very easily satisfied with the work I put into it? I know of myself that I think I know everything but after a while I’ll try to answer a question and I’ve already forgotten what I’ve studied. Frustrating, but definitely something I can work on.
And then, on days like this I know I have to do stuff but for some reason I still don’t do them. Why do I do that? It makes no sense to me. I tried to study but my brain just doesn’t work at all. I’ll read something and if I ask myself what I read I have no idea. Actually really ridiculous, right? It doesn’t help me at all. Tomorrow will be a very busy day for me.
I tried looking up some study tips and there were some that could help. But what I find is that they’re nothing different from the ones I already knew. So I thought I wanted to give myself some tips:
- Get up early with a purpose: having a productive day. Have breakfast and get ready as soon as possible. After that it is easier to start your day and work.
- Avoid anything that could be a distraction. Yup, that means putting away your phone.
- Take small breaks in between. Remember that studying is like doing sprints. You’re not going to be able to sprint a kilometer at a steady pace. You’ll be slower at the end of the sprint than you were in the beginning. Your brain works the same way. You need little breaks.
- Focus on the important things. I sometimes get a little carried away in the details. This is not a problem if you started studying weeks before the exam, but when it’s more last minute you need to know the important things.
- Repetition is the key to learning. As I said before I am not that good at remembering things. I am sure that this also has to do with not revising enough.
So those are some tips that I came up with. You’d think that I should be able to study really well because it looks like I know exactly what I need to do to improve my studying. I only really have to find the motivation. I’ll let you know how the exams went when they’re over. I already can’t wait for that!